- Start Your Real Estate Career
- Continuing Education
- Class Calendar
- Course Descriptions
- NAR Code of Ethics Requirement
- Appreciation Classes
- Designations & Certifications
- Education FAQ’s
You are here
REMINDER: If you register for ANY class with NSBAR, a 48 hour notice is REQUIRED if you are going to cancel. Otherwise, you WILL be charged the FULL amount of the class! This has been our policy since 2003; we will no longer make exceptions as we (NSBAR) are still charged for your seat. We appreciate your cooperation.
Seminars and Classes
April 12, 2016
It’s Not Too Late to Complete Your CE
It is that time of year again! Broker licenses are required to be renewed by the end of this month. Make sure that your Brokers have checked their licenses and have COMPLETED their continuing education requirements BEFORE they renew their licenses. It’s been a challenge to use the new IDFPR system, but that seems to be easing in the last few days. If you are a Cubs’ fan, you’ll recognize this refrain, “Next year.” I think once the bugs are out of this system, it’s going to make renewals much smoother for everyone. “Next year.”
Here are some classes that your Brokers can use to complete their continuing education. They can also go to nsbar.org and download home study courses. Even with those they must make an appointment to test either in Barrington or Northbrook. We are already fully booked for testing this week. Now is not the time to procrastinate.
April Classroom Schedule
|Thursday, 21||BAR||Core A: Will the Defendant Please Rise||9:30 – 12:30|
|BAR||Core B: When in Doubt, Disclose||1:30 – 4:30|
|NB||Core B: Jail House Rock, Legal Issues and Antitrust||9:30 – 12:30|
|NB||Core A: Agency, License law Escrow and Fair Housing||1:30 – 4:30|
|Friday, 22||NB||Elective: Presenting and Negotiating Contracts||9:00 – 12:00|
|NB||Elective: Compensation Issues, Who Shook the Tree||1:00 – 4:00|
|BAR||Elective: Social Media and License Law||9:00 – 12:00|
|BAR||Elective: Cloud Storage||1:00 – 4:00|
|Thursday, 28||NB||Core B: Legal Issues Antitrust and Disclosure||1:00 – 4:00|
|NB||Elective: Social Media and License Law||9:00 – 12:00|
|Friday, 29||NB||Elective: Digital Marketing & Analytics for Real Estate||1:00 – 4:00|
Take note that we have some “tech” electives that we are offering as electives. Carrie Bey-Little will be doing classes in both Barrington and Northbrook. It’s a great opportunity to brush up your tech skills.
March 8, 2016
Managing Broker Update
The days are getting longer, the weather is getting brighter and the real estate market is heating up. The phones are ringing, showings are up and Brokers are running out the door to show a home before another Broker sells it first. It’s almost spring, except for the days it snows ten inches! So good to see business really growing. Some things to remind your Brokers:
• Spring in Illinois is a time of renewal – and it’s important that your Brokers remember to renew their licenses. Renewal is open but at this time no licenses can be printed. IDFPR recommends that your Brokers print the page that shows their renewal information twice. Once for themselves and once for the office. It’s going to be challenging to keep track of renewals right now, but getting copies of this page may make it easier.
• Overheard from a newer Broker – “My Managing Broker said that those who don’t have a database, don’t have a business. They have a hobby.” March is a great time, to remind your Brokers that a call to wish clients Happy Spring may generate a sale. Spring makes everyone think of making a change.
• We still have room in our classes both in Northbrook and Barrington for Brokers to attend and complete their renewal requirements, but they are filling up fast – the time to register is NOW. New Brokers in their first renewal period are required to do thirty hours of post license education. Time is getting very short for this group of Brokers. Don’t let these newer Brokers forget that the April 31 is coming up quickly and the effort required to reinstate a license is tedious and costly.
• We are always looking for ways to improve our Education Department. If you have any feedback you would like to share, please call me at 847-480-7177 or email at email@example.com. I will welcome your thoughts.
February 9, 2016
Managing Broker Renewal
You may be breathing a sigh of relief that your Broker Manager License isn’t due for renewal until 2017. Time flies though and as soon as we finish getting all of the Broker’s renewed, it is time to consider how you will complete your educational requirements. Here is some information about Broker Manager renewal.
All Managing Brokers – those whose license begins with 471 – are due for license renewal April 30, 2017. By or before then, Managing Broker Licensees must complete 24 hours of Continuing Education, and can begin doing so any time after May 1, 2015.
Each renewal thereafter is April 30 of each ODD YEAR.
Complete CE as follows:
• 3 hours of COR A credit (one class)
• 3 hours COR B credit (one class)
• 6 hours Elective credit (or more CORE classes, and omit electives)
• 12 hours of Broker Management CE (this is a separate 2-day class ONLY for Managing Broker Licensees)
"471"Managing Broker Licenses Issued 2-1-2015 or Later are Exempt from 12hr Broker Management Course for 2017 Renewal Period.
Several people have asked us how to actually renew their Broker License. The site to renew Broker Licenses has not opened on the IDFPR website yet. It is a great idea to tag March 15th with a reminder to alert Brokers under your supervision to check again about getting their renewal done. IDFPR is not sending renewal postcards this year, only emails. As email addresses often change, it’s also a great time to remind your Brokers to check that their information is up to date and schedule a reminder to renew their license as soon as they have completed their continuing education.
January 12, 2016
It’s Not Too Late!
With the holidays over and the snow coming down it’s difficult to get real estate professionals geared up for the spring market. Here are some things to consider as you assist your brokers in getting ready for 2016.
• A sturdy business plan doesn’t need to be thirty pages long and account for every day of the year. Simply writing clear and measurable goals and attaching a few specific steps to each goal will result in increased productivity and profitability for your broker. One of my favorite Broker/Owners made a very effective Business Plan – he wrote “More,” on a cocktail napkin every New Year’s Eve and then tacked it above his desk. Another Broker/Owner I know worked for a week, creating an elaborate plan that included several charts and graphs. Most everyone else falls somewhere between those extremes. Assist your brokers in making a 2016 Success Plan.
• Brokers need to complete their continuing education requirements before April 30th. We are pleased to offer several courses that meet the needs of your brokers both in Northbrook and Barrington. Check out our calendar to see what is most convenient for you!
• Join us for an Affiliate Breakfast, January 21 from 9 until 10:30 at our Northbrook location. Take this opportunity to meet several of the companies that generously provide support to NSBAR events. It's a great time to share a little food and learn a little about the services that you can utilize to build your business!
There are two new faces that you will see here at NSBAR. Tiff Krause Lewandowski is familiar to all of you in Barrington as she has been taking care of business there for the last three years. She has moved over to Northbrook where she will be the face that welcomes Northbrook now and assists in taking care of all your training requirements.
Deborah DeBoer has joined the staff as the Education Manager. Many of you may be familiar with her as she has enjoyed a long career in the real estate field here in Illinois and nationally as an instructor, manager, and business consultant. Stop by and say hello – watch for some new and exciting things to happen in the education department here at NSBAR.